Internet connection is mind-numbingly slow this morning, so am having trouble uploading any pictures.
I'm taking copious notes and lots of pictures, so will have plenty to show you, but here are some top-line observations from our wanderings and eatings yesterday:
- Rome is packed with tourists and it isn't even high season yet. Americans mostly, from what I can tell.
- If there's any one style trend I've observed on Italian women in Rome, it's white jeans. Usually skinnies (the jeans AND the women). They've taken to this trend with a vengeance, and usually some black platform heeled sandals.
- Men in Rome are on the whole very well dressed. Granted, we're in the country's capitol, but more suits and ties seen on the street than at home, and even younger men wearing well-tailored suits (often without the tie).
- All of the Italians we've come in contact with have been very warm, friendly, helpful and patient with our mangled Italian. Le monsieur has spent a lot of time memorizing some common phrases, and is often complimented on his attempts to speak Italian. It's a beautiful language.
- The espresso here is everything it's cracked up to be. I could drink it all day if I didn't need to sleep at some point.
I'll try again later to upload some pictures but we have a busy day ahead and I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to resolve the e-mail issues. (It's now looking like it may have been the email server that was hacked, not me personally, but I'll probably never know.)